June is Adopt a Cat month. We’d like to take this opportunity and give you 10 reasons why you should adopt a cat. Reasons to adopt a furry feline include the fact that they need homes. They might need you more than you need them! Another reason is because a pet offers companionship that is indescribable and irreplaceable. They also offer many health benefits.
Did you know that about 2.4 million healthy, adoptable cats and dogs—about one every 13 seconds—are put down in U.S. shelters each year? There are many important reasons to adopt a homeless kitten or cat. Here are just a few.
10 reasons to adopt a cat (in no specific order):
- They make great companions, and some even like to have cuddle time.
- Cats need love too! Some furry felines get a bad reputation. They’ve been called unsocial, mean and even scary. Cats are actually pretty amazing creatures!
- They groom themselves, which makes bath time almost unnecessary.
- They like play time, but they are also pretty independent.
- You don’t necessarily need to have a cat sitter when you go out of town for a couple of days. Some cat parents will leave food and water out and ask a friend to change the littler box if they are gone for more than a few days.
- They are beautiful!
- Cats need you! There are thousands of cats that need homes right now as you read this. Wouldn’t it feel great to give one a forever home?
- Cats take care of business in a little box. You don’t have to take them outside every few hours to go!
- You won’t have to work hard to house train them. They virtually do it themselves!
- Cats are awesome for many reasons. Get one and you will find out for yourself very quickly why so many people love furry – and not so furry – felines!
- Today is a great day to adopt a pet. Share a picture of your adopted cat on our Facebook page. We’d love to hear about how he or she ended up in your home. Happy Adopt a Cat Month!
1According to the Humane Society of the United States