True or false? Cat whiskers and human hair are alike. False. Cat whiskers are unique because they actually have touch receptors. Touch receptors are embedded more deeply in the cat’s body and are connected to the sensitive muscular and nervous systems, sending information about the surroundings directly to the cat’s sensory nerves. Whiskers help the cat to detect and respond to changes in its surroundings.
Have you ever wondered what a hairball is exactly? Is it just a bunch of undigested hair? What causes them and should you worry when your cat coughs one up? Keep reading for answers to common questions about cat hairballs.
What is a hairball?
Hairballs are caused exactly how you think they are. When cats groom themselves, small pieces of hair will attach to their tongue and get swallowed. Most of the hair that is swallowed gets digested, but some of it stays in the stomach to form a hairball. Hairballs can cause hacking, vomiting, lack of appetite, constipation and diarrhea. It’s not fun hacking up one of those gross hairballs! They can also be caused by a moisture-deficient diet or a problem in the GI tract. If you see that your pet is having excessive hairballs, a visit to the veterinarian might be in order.
Some of you may already know this, but 21st Century Animal HealthCare is the provider of a trusted product line called 21st Century Essential Pet Products. These dog and cat health care products are exclusively available at PetSmart stores nationwide. You can find them online or in the isles. On our Paw Print blog, we like to write fun and helpful posts that include tips about weather, holidays, giveaways and more. Once in a while we like to tell you a little bit about our trusted pet care products, too. Do you have a dog or cat? Visit our website to learn more about 21st Century Animal HealthCare.
Here are a few of our favorite Essential Pet Feline Products:
- HAIRBALL CONTROL: Got hairballs? Essential Pet has a product for that! Cats are natural self-groomers. In this self-grooming process, they ingest hair which can build up and cause hairballs. While cat’s have a natural ability to expel this ingested hair, hand brushing and supplementation with 21st Century Essential Pet Hairball Soft Chews may help support this process.
- SKIN & COAT: Who doesn’t love soft and smooth fur? You can help support your cat’s skin and coat with the yummy chicken taste found in 21st Century’s Skin & Coat Soft Chews. Your feline will purr for it.
- CALMING SUPPORT: Do you have a nervous cat? 21st Century Essential Pet Soft Chews are a great way to offer calming support to your furry feline. Great for use while traveling and when you’re away. These soft chews are delicious, palatable and contain natural ingredients.
- EYE CARE: Get rid of tear stains. Remove tough tear stains from your cuddly feline with Essential Pet Tear Stain Remover Pads. These pads are gentle, effective and will restore luster to your cat’s coat. This product is a favorite among many pet owners!
- WOUND CARE: Support for minor skin infections. 21st Century Wound Spray is a soothing antimicrobial for topical bacteria, ringworm, various viruses and for soothing minor cuts and scratches. This is a great product to have on hand in case something does happen. Pick it up online or in stores today!
For a full list of our canine and feline health care products, visit us online at 21stessentialpet.com. Do you have a question about our products? Message us Facebook or Twitter. We are more than happy to help!